Find Free Tax Help

Schedule an appointment


*Last updated July 6, 2021

The Community Action Agency’s VITA Program is now offering appointments for 2018, 2019, 2020 and amended tax returns. 


In-person appointments available Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 1401 Rockville Pike, Suite 320.  Virtual appointments available Monday – Friday.


Montgomery County residents with household incomes of $57,000 or less, please call 240-777-1123 to schedule.


Virtual VITA Flyers

Please click on the flyers to download.



VITA Appointment Sites

What to bring to your Virtual appointment via Zoom
Taking Public Transportation?

Community Action Agency VITA Program

*The CAA VITA program is now offering virtual VITA appointments.  Montgomery County residents with household incomes of $57,000 or less may call 240-777-1123 to schedule an appointment.

Community Tax Aid Information

Senior Corps/RSVP AARP Tax-Aide Program

Please call 240-777-2577 for updates.

Chinese Culture and Community Service Center

Please call 301-620-1514 for information 

CASA de Maryland

Please call 240-491-5747 for information 


The VITA program can help people with current ITINs file taxes. However, at this time we are not renewing ITINs or assisting with applications for new ITINs.

File your Taxes Online

Free Filing Software/IRS Questions: The IRS Free File provides free federal tax prep and e-file for taxpayers (income $72,000 or below). For toll-free tax help call 800-829-1040 for individual tax questions or 800-829-4933 for business tax questions. 
If you decide to use a commercial tax preparer, please click here.

Low-Income Tax Payer Clinics

Low-Income Taxpayer Clinics are available for residents with legal questions about their taxes.
Maryland: University of Baltimore Taxpayer Clinic: 410-837-5706
University of Maryland Taxpayer Clinic: 410-706-3295
Washington, DC:
American University  Janet R. Spragens Federal Tax Clinic: 202-274-4000
University of the District of Columbia 202-274-7315
Catholic University Low Income Taxpayer Clinic : 202-319-6788

What to Bring to Your VIRTUAL Appointment:

  • A Social Security card and/or ITIN for EACH family member. We cannot use prior year files to verify Social Security number
  • A photo ID for each filer
  • W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2020
  • Child care provider name, address, and tax ID number or Social Security number
  • All banking account information (a voided check and/or savings deposit slip) to direct deposit your refund
  • A copy of last year’s tax return
  • Any document or information about money you have received from the IRS or state
  • All 1099 forms for other income, if any
  • Any other tax related documents you have received
  • If you are a victim of identity theft, you must bring the letter from the IRS with your PIN number. A new letter is issued from the IRS every year.
  • If you purchased health insurance through the Marketplace for 2020, through Medicare/Medicaid, or through your employer, you should receive a Form
  • 1095-A, B, and/or C. Please bring this form with you to complete your 2020  federal tax return.
  • If you have a Marketplace Exemption, please contact the Marketplace and get your Marketplace Exemption Certificate number to complete your 2020 federal ​ tax return.
  • If you are married and filing jointly, your spouse must be present. If you are married and filing separately, you need your spouse's name as spelled on his/her Social Security card and your spouse's Social Security number.

Resources from the IRS

  • Following major tax law changes, the IRS is urging taxpayers to use the  IRS Withholding Calculator to check their tax withholding and make sure they have the right amount of tax taken out of their pay for their personal situation. Having too little tax withheld could mean a tax bill or a penalty. And with the average refund topping $2,800, some may prefer to get more money in their pay now. The earlier people check, the more time there is for withholding to take place evenly during the rest of the year.  Additional information available in  English and  Spanish.
  • IRS  Tax Reform page
  • Subscribe now to IRS Tax Tips, which will include new Tax Reform Tax Tips
  • Videos on the IRS You Tube channel
  • IRS Website in Spanish

Additional Resources

Maryland Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights & Consumer Guide ACA (Affordable Care Act) and Premium Tax Credits For coverage options, and financial help in Maryland: click HERE or call 1-855-642- FDIC Money Smart for Small Businesses
Maryland Comptroller's Office

Additional Montgomery free tax info: MC311 or call 311/ 240-777-0311/ TTY CALL MD RELAY 711.
Have any trouble filing your taxes? Please click HERE.
Sign Language Interpretation: Contact Community Action at 240-777-1123 or call Gallaudet University VITA in DC at 202-540-8517 (VP) or 202-651-5312 (Voice).

Resource and Outreach Partners:

Community Action’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Partnership (VITA) delivers year-round EITC outreach and free-tax  preparation with support from volunteers and: the Coalition for the Advancement of the Financial Education, MD (CAFE Montgomery MD), CASH Campaign of Maryland, the Montgomery County Volunteer Center, the City of Gaithersburg (Bank on Gaithersburg), the  Gilchrist Immigrant Resource CenterMontgomery County Head Start, Maryland Hunger Solutions, Montgomery College, Spanish Catholic Center, United Way, University of  Maryland Extension, the  City of Rockville, and Volunteer Maryland Information and outreach is supported through MC311, Department of Finance, Office of Consumer ProtectionMontgomery County Public Libraries , and the National Tax Credit Campaign.