Skip to main content
Department of Recreation logo

Qualifications and FAQ


Any Montgomery County resident or business owner who is at least 21 years of age.

Recreation and community centers are located throughout Montgomery County. If you are having trouble finding the best center or location to meet your needs, contact our Customer Service staff at 240-777-6840 weekdays, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Yes. We encourage you to visit our recreation facilities and look around. Make sure the facility you choose will suit your needs before you submit a Facility Use Permit to reserve the space.

Several of our community and senior centers provide excellent spaces for formal events such as wedding receptions and large parties. Call our Facilities Management staff at 240-777-4980 for more information.

Yes, beer, wine and champagne is permitted in most facility rentals – but not all – so renters are advised to check with the facility they are considering before reserving the space.

Yes. Live bands and DJs are permitted.

Yes, they are available. However, it is the responsibility of the renter to set them up, take them down, and clean up after use.

You will have access to the specific space that you’ve reserved for your event, along with the amenities available for that space. For example, a gymnasium may include a stage for any entertainment you are hosting, or a social hall will include kitchen facilities and private restrooms.

Chairs and tables are available at no extra cost, although it is the renter’s responsibility to set them up and take them down.

Parking is free at all but the Wisconsin Place Community Recreation Center in Chevy Chase. However, at any recreation facility, drivers must park in designated parking spaces and obey County laws to avoid being subject to fines or towing.

The first half of the total rental cost is due at the time you submit your reservation, and the second half (the balance) is due at least two weeks prior to the start date of your reservation permit, along with a $200 security deposit.

A security deposit is refunded automatically within two to three weeks after your event, as long as it does not have to be withheld to help cover the cost of any damages to County property or outstanding balances on your reservation. If there are problems that will jeopardize your refund, you will be notified directly.

When Montgomery County Recreation must close facilities or cancel programs due to inclement weather or other circumstances related to participant and staff safety, notification is made through Alert Montgomery – Montgomery County’s emergency notification system. You can sign up for the free alerts and choose whether you prefer to receive notifications on your cell, work, or home telephones, and choose your preferred format -- text messages, emails or voice messages. In addition, emergency updates can be accessed on the Recreation Department home page , on the Recreation Facebook and Twitter sites, or by calling the Inclement Weather Line at 240-777-6889.

Contact the center staff directly at the time when you are applying for your Facility Use Permit and during the event itself.

kids image

group photo image

Go Top