Food and Facilities Licensing

Licensing Services - Enterprise

Who must apply for an enterprise license?
Anyone who intends to operate an amusement park, theater, dance hall, for-profit swimming pool, park, carnival, circus, roller skating rink, miniature golf course, driving range, pitch & putt course or pony ring.

What is an enterprise?
Any of the activities noted above.

When must one obtain an enterprise license?
An enterprise license must be obtained prior to operating any of the above noted activities. (This license does not apply in Town of Barnesville, Chevy Chase Village, Town of Chevy Chase, City of Gaithersburg, Town of Garrett Park, Town of Kensington, Town of Laytonsville, Town of Poolesville, City of Rockville, Town of Somerset and Town of Washington Grove).

How does one obtain an enterprise license?
Applications and information on the required attachments are available here:  Enterprise License Application

Is there a fee?
See the fee schedule to determine the appropriate fee.

What is the process for obtaining an Enterprise License?

  • Submit the application and the fee, along with a Use and Occupancy Permit and current Fire Marshal Inspection. 
  • Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
  • The application and attachments will be reviewed and the license issued.

Personnel with the Licensure & Regulatory Services section are available to discuss questions during regular working hours (Monday-Friday) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at 240-777-3986.

The license application for a newly established enterprise must be published in a newspaper of general circulation in the county for at least two weeks prior to issuing the license. Licensure & Regulatory Services arranges for the advertisement at the applicant's expense.