Food and Facilities Licensing

Licensing Services- Permits
Hotel and Bed & Breakfast

What is a hotel?

A hotel is a building or portion of a building where, for compensation, lodging or lodging and meals are provided or offered to three or more transient visitors.  The definition of a hotel includes motel but not bed & breakfast.  

What is a bed and breakfast?

A bed and breakfast means a detached house that is owner occcupied with no more than five guest rooms for rent and customarily serves breakfast to guests.  A bed and breakfast is not a short-term residential rental.  

Who must apply for a transient lodging license?

The owner, operator or responsible manager of a hotel or bed and breakfast must obtain a transient lodging license.  

When is a transient lodging license required?

A transient lodging license must be obtained for each hotel or bed and breakfast prior to operating in Montgomery County. This license does not apply in Chevy Chase Village, Town of Chevy Chase, City of Gaithersburg, Town of Garrett Park, Town of Kensington, Town of Laytonsville, Town of Poolesville, City of Rockville, Town of Somerset, and Town of Washington Grove.

How does one obtain a transient lodging license?

Applications and information on the required attachments are available here:

Download the Application:

Transient Lodging License


Fee Schedule


  • Submit the application and the fee.
  • Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
  • The application and attachments will be reviewed and the license issued.
  • An inspection must be passed prior to the transient lodging license being issued

Licensure & Regulatory Services staff are available to discuss questions during regular working hours (Monday through Friday) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., 240-777-3986.