Skip Navigation


Food and Facilities Licensing Home

Environmental Health

Health Care Facilities

Licensing Services

Food and Facilities Licensing

Licensing Services - Special Food Service Facility (Temporary Event)

Who must apply for a temporary event license?
Anyone who plans to sell or give away food at a temporary event must first obtain a Montgomery County Food Service Facility License. The only exception to the law is the sale of fresh produce or live crustaceans.

What is a temporary event?
A temporary event is an event at a fixed location not exceeding 14 days where either a mobile, permanent, or temporary structure is used to prepare, serve, or sell food or drink.

When must one apply for a temporary event license?
A license must be obtained prior to operating. The application must be submitted at least two working days before the scheduled start of the event. A fee will be charged for applications filed less than two working days prior to the event.

How does one apply for a temporary event license?
Applications and information on the requirements are available from the:

Department of Health and Human Services
Licensing & Regulatory Services
255 Rockville Pike, 1st Floor
Rockville, Maryland 20850

Download the Application:

Is there a fee?
Please see the fee schedule for any fees that apply: Fee Schedule

What is the process for applying for a Temporary Event License?


Personnel within the Licensure & Regulatory Services section are available to discuss questions during regular working hours (Monday through Friday) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., 240-777-3986.