Food and Facilities Licensing

Licensing Services - Permits - Private Schools

(Private Educational Institution) 

Who must apply for a private educational institution license? 

Any person planning to operate a private educational institute in Montgomery County for (5) five or more students at one time, or if there is more than one instructor, must obtain a license.

What is a private educational institution (PEI)? 
A PEI is any private school or educational or training institution, however designated, which offers a program of college, professional, preparatory, high, intermediate, elementary, kindergarten or nursery school instruction, or any combination thereof, or any other program of trade, technical or artistic training.

When must one obtain a private educational institute license? 
A license must be obtained prior to operating the private educational institution.

How does one obtain a private educational institution license? 
Applications and information on the required attachments are available here:

Is there any additional information or approvals that may be required?

  • Use and Occupancy permit - call 240-777-0311
  • Well & Septic approval (where applicable) - call 240-777-0311
  • Montgomery County Fire Marshal approval - call 240-777-0311
  • Maryland State Department of Education  - call 410-767-0407
  • Vocational training which prepares students for gainful employment -contact the Maryland Higher Education Commission at 410-974-2971

Are there any fees?
See the fee schedule for any fees that may apply:  Fee Schedule

What is the process for applying for a Private School License?

  • Submit the application, attachments and the appropriate fee.
  • Incomplete applications will be returned to the applicant.
  • The application and attachments will be reviewed.
  • An inspection must be passed prior to the private educational institution license being issued.

Staff with  Licensure & Regulatory Services are available to answer questions during regular business hours - Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at 240-777-3986.