Historic Area Map

A HAWP is required when making substantive changes to the exterior of a Historic Site. Check with your local historic district. Substantive changes include the construction of additions and the removal or replacement of character-defining architectural elements such as windows, doors, porches, steps, and shutters and other decorative features. The demolition of all, or part, of a building requires a Historic Area Work Permit (HAWP).  A HAWP is not required for interior work or for ordinary maintenance, which includes minor repairs using like materials and design, minor landscaping, and painting of non-masonry surfaces using the same or substantially the same color.

A HAWP approval does not eliminate the need for a building permit issued by the county's Department of Permitting Services.


Submit Required Documents

How it Works




Application Review

How it Works

Staff Directory