gazebo in the yard of a single family home

A permit is required prior to the construction or modification of any accessory structure or building. These structures or buildings are located on the same lot, are detached from the dwelling and their use is related to the use of the dwelling.

Accessory structures or buildings include but are not limited to: detached garages, sheds, barns, gazebos, pool houses, portable storage and sea containers.

An accessory structure or building on a residential lot must be in the rear yard.

If your project includes an accessory dwelling unit (ADU) such as accessory apartment, granny pod, backyard cottage or carriage house, among others, please read the applicable requirements.

Listen to the ADU podcast episode below:


Plans Review

How it Works

Residential Codes



Build your Accessory Structure

How it Works

About Inspections

Check Permit Status