Below is a list of common permits often requested by homeowners. The permits are categorized by projects that occur inside or outside your home. As a homeowner, you may apply for permits but recommend you consult with a design professional for projects that are complex in nature.

You may only apply for permits as a homeowner if you are the property owner. It is also important to note that laws or codes in effect in Montgomery County may prohibit you from applying for certain permit types. For more information, you may contact or visit DPS to speak with staff about your project.

If you are interested in creating an Accessory Dwelling Unit, please review this presentation.  There is additional information below under "Finish Basement" and "Finish Attic" for indoor projects and "Small Addition"  and "Detached Garage/Accessory Structure" for outdoor projects.

Outside your home